Welcome to the worldly adventures of SEVEN

SEVEN is a collective of multi-disciplined artists from rural Nova Scotia. Collaboration is the foundation for creativity, where each artist responds artistically in her own medium to a selected theme. Through collective discourse, various elements combine to form a much richer body of thought - adding new and perhaps unforeseen levels of creativity and interpretation.

Rurally routed to their tidal landscape, SEVEN knows, what goes out, does come in.



Friday, May 21, 2010

The Beauty that Surrounds Us

I'm feeling particularly lucky these days to spend my mornings walking through the Acadian Forest which surrounds my home. Birds chirping, rabbits scurrying, native flowers blooming, brooks babbling - all of these wonderful elements appeal to my every sense. Combine this experience with the smell of sunshine beaming down on evergreens, a burst of flavour from a fresh wintergreen berry....and what can I say but inspiration abounds. My work is directly linked to these experiences and the joy this simple daily pleasure provides me with. It allows my imagination to run wild! As I bring these experiences back to my studio, ready with brush to canvas, I shut my eyes and remember the feeling and energy of the rabbit hopping in front of me along the path or the quirky call of an unidentified bird following me and my dog through the forest.



I often have my camera with me on my walks so that I always have something to refer back to, like the small window in which the wild orchids (Lady Slippers) are in bloom, or the tracks of an animal in the snow. It is from these photos and my memories of each daily jaunt that I begin to create my mixed medium pieces.

(top photo: Trillium, middle photo: Wild Orchid (Lady Slipper), bottom photo: rhododendron canadense.


Thanks for reading my post and stay tuned for more posts of actual pieces created for SEVEN's trip to Denmark!

1 comment:

  1. Update - have almost completed 3 out of 5 pieces for this international exhibit. Stay tuned for further posts!! YiPpEE!!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete