Welcome to the worldly adventures of SEVEN

SEVEN is a collective of multi-disciplined artists from rural Nova Scotia. Collaboration is the foundation for creativity, where each artist responds artistically in her own medium to a selected theme. Through collective discourse, various elements combine to form a much richer body of thought - adding new and perhaps unforeseen levels of creativity and interpretation.

Rurally routed to their tidal landscape, SEVEN knows, what goes out, does come in.



Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Source, farm and fibre.

Often, in my busy life, I loose touch with my beginnings and why I started working with fibre in the first place.  Our annual Back to Back International Wool Challenge, brings me back to working with fibre in the raw state, just off the sheep and smelling so heavenly barnny.  It also brings me once again into the company of other fibre enthusists and other farmers growing fibre animals. 


On June 5th, our B2B Team Sheep Thrills, gathered at Gaspereau Valley Fibres for a fun filled day of shearing, spinning and knitting.  Teams from around the world compete each year in this challenge and funds are raised for Cancer Research.  Our team beat our own record by over an hour, we are nowhere near beating the Canadian record nor the International record, but we are all winners for such a great cause. 


Photo: Sheep Thrills Team









 I love working with these women, and meeting so many friends, both old and new.  I love getting
 that  wonderful feeling of belonging to a society with respect for our natural world, and the
 creatures that depend on us and on whom we depend on.

Once back into raw fibre, I decided that it was time to sort my wool crop.  I picked out fleeces for the mill at MacAuslands, choice fleeces to sell to other spinners and my favorite ones for me to use for my own handspun and felting projects.  As one thing leads to another, I also cleaned out the lambing pens and hay storage areas in the barn to prepare and make room for this years hay crop.
                                                                                                                                                                                              



 Photo of my youngest grandchild, Keith enjoying the late day sun and newly dyed wool.


I spent the rest of the week getting ready for the Wolfville Farmers' Market, which I have started
attending again as a vendor.  I was missing the one on one contact with people that I have always
enjoyed.  I rarely go out without meeting someone new and saying to myself, that was an interesting
person, I am glad I met them.


This week I am back to prepareing for Denmark.  I am sure that when I have been there and return,                            
I will say "That was an interesting Country, I am glad I went there."         

Marilyn Rand

No comments:

Post a Comment