Welcome to the worldly adventures of SEVEN

SEVEN is a collective of multi-disciplined artists from rural Nova Scotia. Collaboration is the foundation for creativity, where each artist responds artistically in her own medium to a selected theme. Through collective discourse, various elements combine to form a much richer body of thought - adding new and perhaps unforeseen levels of creativity and interpretation.

Rurally routed to their tidal landscape, SEVEN knows, what goes out, does come in.



Friday, June 11, 2010

What? Dream Catchers?





Keeping it short today. Trying to stay away from the dream world and focus on all the tasks at hand.

Our last show was Awakenings. These are my pieces created around that theme.
                                                                   
 We never know for sure how someone else will think and feel about our work and I was surprised when some people asked if these large pieces were  dream catchers. They stand 6 feet tall and the circles are 25 inches in diameter. Once the comment was made I went though a range of emotions. The dream catcher has felt overdone to me, almost a bit kitchy. I wasn't feeling great about this reaction, until I watched and talked with the dream catcher people who were truly moved by how they felt. They changed my mind about dream catchers and how I feel about showing work.

From there it was easy to let go of my first reaction and let the art be what it is, open for interpretation for one and all. Not every one thought dream catcher, not every one liked them but the feedback was nourishing on all levels. I will strive to make myself clearer with future pieces knowing that not everyone will see as I see. In February I was walking by my front window and the reflection begged a photo. Kind of dreamy I think!

Do you think art pieces should have a clear message? How would this interpret across cultural boundaries? What could speak to all the cultures in the world? Here is where my mind will be as I go back to working with production pieces for the afternoon. (one of the benefits of production work).

Enjoy life!  
Pam



No comments:

Post a Comment