Welcome to the worldly adventures of SEVEN

SEVEN is a collective of multi-disciplined artists from rural Nova Scotia. Collaboration is the foundation for creativity, where each artist responds artistically in her own medium to a selected theme. Through collective discourse, various elements combine to form a much richer body of thought - adding new and perhaps unforeseen levels of creativity and interpretation.

Rurally routed to their tidal landscape, SEVEN knows, what goes out, does come in.



Friday, August 27, 2010

Intentions were good...



Sometimes life's adventures take up all of one's time, leaving little time to blog about life's adventures.  Such was the case during my adventure that began in Denmark and spilled over into these days since my return.  

I embarked on this artistic exchange, fully open to absorbing the Danish culture's art, design and aesthetic - consciously unaware at the time that these are, of course, methods of communication. I fully expected to return with a new clarity to “seeing” that one often experiences after time spent elsewhere. I certainly didn't expect to come back with a new-found awareness of intent in communication.

Placing visual communication aside, I quickly discovered that travelling with three other strong, independent women, places every nuance, word and expression under a microscope of scutiny. The situation challenges one to be conscious of word choices, tone, phrasing and even silences.

By immersing myself in this exchange with SEVEN, by stepping away from my usual surroundings, routines and companions, I gained clarity – clarity of my own communication shortcomings. I've been humbled to know that after 48 years, I'm still not the great communicator I was hoping to be.

But, through this exchange, the ground has shifted - or I've shifted. I can now see how deeply affected we all are by the intention behind communication of every kind. Our intent is paramount. No matter what form it takes - be it a piece of music, a speech, a painting or a conversation with a friend, what matters most is intent. Whether we consciously realize it or not, we all see through to the real intention - the true reason for the communication, which explains why we may be moved by one thing and not another.

My opportunity now is to enhance all facets of my communications, both visually and in my everyday conversations - to hold my intent close so I can keep an eye on it.   

Peace,
Deborah


No comments:

Post a Comment